Front Cover | Portfolio

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 16.42.39

To do my front cover I decided to use my hair at first I used different colours to this I decided even though the first try was cool my hair should still have my hair colour in it so people know that its me because of this I created a new layer and changed it to colour so that I could paint over my hair again. This was the outcome I got and I liked it a lot better.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.06.07Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.02.26

I stuck to the idea of having a clean outcome on the left and patterns on the right I used guides in order to ensure that it was half way down the page. I used sharpie’s I chose bright colours because this represents I work using bright colour. To manipulate this image I opened a new file in Photoshop so I work on the image alone and didn’t mess any of the front cover I had already done. I started by increasing the brightness to +20. This did bring the brightness up but I wanted natural light to be shown more because of this I used curves to increase how bright it was

. This brought the natural light back into the image and you can already see from the pen lids. To make sure all the lids where aligned I turned on my grids from this I seen that the pink marker was slightly higher than the rest using the marquee tool to move it down this then become aligned with the other pens.

With this I flattened the image and dragged the layer into my portfolio file to edit further.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.08.10

When adding my file into my front cover I used the magic wand tool so that i could get rid of the background the screenshot above shows how i got rid of this easily.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.08.37

I then moved the pens and placed them differently amongst the page but decided I needed them to be horizontal on the page. Doing this I then had my outcome but this wasn’t what I imaged I did develop further as I thought with my pattern in on the right side this will most likely make more sense.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 17.29.58.png

Using this image I wanted to make a pattern to show my mixed media skills.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.14.58

I took this area and used the magic wand tool to get rid of the white background I then saved this as A JPEG and swapped from working in Photoshop to Illustrator to produce my pattern effectively.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.19.41

While in illustrator my idea was that the pattern would overlay slightly this wasn’t happening no matter what I tried. In the end I had made a pattern which messed up I started using this as a new template to create my own pattern joining areas together and getting rid of pieces gave me one pattern I then took this in Photoshop and used copy and paste in order to spread my design across the right side of my page as well as this I used to free transform tool to have a variation of sizes and also rotate the pattern so it didn’t look the same.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.33.22

This worked quite well and the outcome was effective however the left side still didn’t appeal to me. I stopped working on my pattern and went back into editing my pens. The reason I thought this wasn’t effective was because the pens where too close together I went back to doing photography and spaced the pens out slightly from each other.Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.54.10

I took about 10 images and chose the best one to work with here you can see my guides on to make sure all of the pens are aligned correctly I then used curves to naturally bring the brightness up tis brought the shine from the light hitting them back.

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 17.54.51

I then used brightness and set it to 15 I was happy with this because it wasn’t overly edited and looked natural I then flattened the image and added it into my portfolio cover

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 18.01.14

Once adding this in I like this a lot better the only thing I want to add to complete my front cover is my monogram this cant be completed yet as the file is on the college computers but first thing Monday morning I am going to do this to complete the page and upload it to Behance.

I also added more of my patterns to fill the page more so it looked like it wasn’t just placed on the page but shown how I have made informed decisions to make the page effective by placing the patterns differently across the page show an effective outcome.

Up to now this is a really effective piece which I think gives people an insight to me and what type of work I like to do. This will be more effective once I have added my monogram in as I’m sticking to black or white. This will highlight on the front cover I can work traditionally with colour and use colour simply to have an effective outcome.

Advertisements

One thought on “Front Cover | Portfolio”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s