As I wasn’t completely happy with my YEEZY logo I decided to go back into illustrator and create a new page I took fonts such as Arial Black, Impact, Helvetica as these are all block typography. I then set my baseline and cap-height however when placing the E added an ascender because the Y’s are going to be bigger than any other letters within the logo.
I started by right clicking once I typed the letter I wanted and right clicking and creating outlines this then allowed me to use the direct selection tool to edit the type in the way I wanted
The way I did this was develop an area of the type and then use alt to copy it I then edited further so I had a start and a finish to look at. Once I had developed the type to a point where I was happy with it I copied it into the YEEZY logo to see how it looked this gave me an idea of if it needed further editing or if the type should be scrapped and I should move onto another font.
This is the outcome of using impact for my font and not editing it completely. As you can see the logo still looks a little bit out of place and for this reason wasn’t going to be used for my final Yeezy logo.
The next type I started to manipulate was Impact.I did this by right clicking and creating outlines. This is the bottom type as you can see from the screenshots I have made the type thinner however its still bold I did copy this over into my Yeezy logo but the type still looked slightly out because of this I had the idea to pull the right split of the y so it was taller and had a point the left side was smaller but still also ended with a point I wasn’t sure about this on its own as I didn’t know if it’d look professional.
This is the Edited Y on the Yeezy logo. To me this fits better and looks quite creative but still clean cut therefore the Y’s are complete. The only constraint I can see now is the EEZ looks too close together and I would prefer to space this out so it fit better. Another issue which I can see is the Z doesn’t look thick enough and therefore if I make that thicker the E has to be made thicket because the E will look out of place otherwise.
I took the same steps as the Y to complete this process however instead of editing them isolated from the logo I edited them within the logo as I wasn’t making massive changes just fitting them into the logo better than they where already.
From doing this you can see the E and the Z is thicker and I have also made sure that every letter is the same thickness so it looks more clean cut and they’re perfectly aligned with one another. To further develop my logo I have moved the Yeezy logo about until I was certain that this was going to be my outcome.
This is a screenshot of my type before vs after. The type looks effective and more professional compared to the top one as I have spaced better and the type has been edited with existing fonts which has helped me to produce a better quality outcome.
This is a screenshot I have taken to show the guides I used within doing the final logo such as baseline, cap height and the ascenders I have also added a guide onto my E to help me when it come to making that particular part of my type thicker and equal.
The reason I decided this was going to be my final logo is because it looks professional and also imaginative. I like the fact I have stuck to a creative logo but with a clean cut outcome. Up to now I am sticking with the idea of keeping this text black and white as it looks effective as it is however when it comes to designing the packaging this may change but I am going to try and keep this in mind when doing the pattern on the box unless its necessary and I can justify a reason to why the box needs to include black.
This is my logo without guides and made bigger in Illustrator I have now saved this file in Illustrator and the next time I come to use it will be when I make my design for the box.