Bowie | Album Cover

AScreen Shot 2016-05-24 at 09.53.44

I began my album cover by deciding that I wanted to have a piece of mixed media behind a David Bowie drawing because of this I used a piece of mixed media and opened it up into Illustrator the point of doing this was so that I could create a pattern when I image traced my pattern I used the selection tool which allowed me to take different areas of my image and move them.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 09.54.04

The reason for this was because I didn’t think the piece of mixed media was good enough I wanted it to be slightly more messy than it was just within Illustrator as if it came to making a pattern it wouldn’t look the way I wanted it to. When I had took areas of the image I grouped them together and then did Object > Pattern > Create Pattern. This gave me an outcome what I liked but it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to therefore I went back to my original mixed media piece and placed this into Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 09.27.52

I changed the Hue/Saturation as I thought red would go better I then started to place images in my idea for this was because Bowie was many different characters that I could use each drawing I did to create the album cover.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 10.00.59

Adding in two of the pictures and one of my photography pieces I started to place them in different areas but it didn’t look right I decided to add a star behind them as David Bowie’s last album is called blackstar and consists of a black star and smaller stars. I used my mixed media piece to be placed into this and set it at 80% opacity therefore the images above where the main point of focus.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 10.11.12

I decided that a black background would be better however this meant I had to change the colour of David Bowie to white once this was done I experimented further in moving the images around.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 10.41.20Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 10.41.32

At this point in time my album cover didn’t look good and it didn’t make sense I was trying to create something which I sat and experimented with for a while but it wasn’t working. The piece didn’t look effective and I couldn’t justify why I had done it other than in my mind I thought this outcome would work.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.12.11

I had another idea which I wrote down in my sketchbook when I was doing album ideas this was to slice an image up and place it onto a page with another image because of this I took my Aladdin Sane drawing along with Labyrinth I opened a new document and set the size to 12x12cm. This was going quite well however when I added Labyrinth I thought I was going too overboard and decided why not just have my Aladdin Sane piece sliced up to create my album cover.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.36.58

Once I deleted the Labyrinth layers I fully completed the Aladdin Sane drawing. To then develop further I merged these layers together and used cmd+j to paste them twice. From this I used the free transform tool and created two smaller Bowies. The reason for this was to make the outcome look more quirky and although you can’t see it together on here was to make sure the back was really plain and simple whereas the front was eye catching.  The only thing I had left to do was placing the David Bowie text. In the end I moved this to the top right as this was the best place to put it as its easy to see and within the plain space it doesn’t go over any of the image which means it doesn’t get lost within the image or overshadow any of the image.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 15.24.07

Now that the front of my album is done I had to do the back. Creating another new document and setting the page to 12x12cm I started off by adding David Bowie songs I took these from spottily and also used the ones I liked most to create the songs within the album I had a total of 16 songs on the back of the vinyl and I added the top left quarter of my Aladdin Sane drawing to take away the complete plainness I didn’t do this right at the end of my page as I need space for when I print to create a fold which will allow me to stick my vinyl together.Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 15.28.23

To finalise the album cover I added a barcode to the back as this is what you would normally see so that it could be scanned if the album was being bought. I then saved this and was ready to print both my front and back cover however I wanted to test it at first so that I could test it at first and then decide if this was definitely the right thing to do for my album cover.

I am going to place my test album cover within my sketchbook as I don’t want to put my official album cover out until exhibition day because I don’t want it to get ruined or marks on it otherwise I will have to do it again therefore I need to keep it in as perfect condition as I can.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s