This is my final Bowie drawing I could either do something completely different or do a new piece which follows the pattern of what I have done up to now. I decided that I wanted to create a new piece however follow the style of keeping it simple and only using black and white. I had an idea to do a piece which used a lot of David Bowie’s lyrics that stood out to me or where popular. I decided to not add colour while doing this until the end if I wanted to as this would be a nightmare to change if I didn’t like the outcome in the end.
Before starting this I watched multiple tutorials based on creating a typographic piece of artwork however none fit to what I wanted to do therefore I took it upon myself to do what I felt was right and hope in the end my final outcome would be what I pictured in my head.
I chose the font Impact to write my lyrics with as this didn’t seem too obvious yet didn’t look fancy it was plain, bold and simple therefore worked well and I knew whether the font size was 12pt or 60pt it was going to be legible
I zoomed in to areas like the eyes as this was a crucial areas for me to do to know that the rest of this typographic piece was going to work. I used font size 3 for this as its not an area where I would expect people to read the type its still there however its not legible but this isn’t a problem as all of my other text will be throughout the drawing. You can still tell that typography was used to create the eyes however its not obvious and easy to read but as theres other areas of type going to be on the page this won’t be a problem at the final outcome.
When looking at this zoomed out it looked okay although the right eye didn’t look correct but I could come back to this once more lyrics where added into the piece.
This is three screenshots all together showing the development of my piece. Doing typographic work takes a lot longer than I thought especially as I wanted the outcome to show Bowie inside and out of the illustration. The other limitations I faced was fitting all the typography in and having to change the direction I didn’t want to mess around with this too much therefore the text either had to be portrait or landscape if any text was slightly curved this is because of reasons like e.g. eyebrows have to be curved in order to make the shape therefore that was acceptable however anything that wasn’t detail and was shaping the face had to be portrait or landscape.
Once all of my Bowie drawing was done in white I was pleased with the outcome however it didn’t have any depth too it and because it was all white there wasn’t a main area of focus I needed to change this therefore I decided that adding different shades of grey will help produce a stronger narrative behind the drawing as people will at first see the white and then notice grey and then darker greys therefore the lyrics themselves should show the popular typography which then leads onto smaller words which make Bowie.
I experimented with adding grey tones into my image as I have never done this I knew I wanted depth but I didn’t know how After asking for feedback off my friend Bart he said don’t be afraid to go even darker using the grey as looking at it here there doesn’t seem to be much difference in the white from the grey.
I started to add more grey into the image this is a zoomed screenshot of the bottom of my typographic piece. As you can see I have started to add more greys into the image so that its not as obvious to see anymore and you have to look deeper into the picture to be able to see the message behind it.
This was the outcome at this point in time however I decided to change my image to black and white so that I could see where the darker areas where and the lighter and then areas which should be white where.
From doing the outcome some of the words wasn’t all one colour but I quite liked this as it makes you notice the lyrics easier in some areas and harder in others so you have to look deep into the picture to see the rest of the words.
Overall this drawing I like the outcome I enjoyed doing it in the beginning but near the end I just wanted it to be done. The outcome is effective and is going to be used for my A3 outcome which will be printed and mounted onto foam board for exhibition.